Sunday, June 24, 2007

Student reflections thus far and more pictures!

June 24, 2007
We have just arrived in Cordova and after being disappointed by the lack of wireless on this past ferry (the sea otters and sea lions made up for it) the group has headed out to set up camp at the McKinley Trail cabin (some people will sleep inside tonight...somehow I don't think I am one of them) and I am sitting outside the public library to load our latest updates 'sharing' the library's wireless signal. We have had a bit of clouds and showers since getting back to the mainland from Kodiak, but the forecast is for better weather while we are at Cordova - we are putting all the rain gear to good use!!
Each student has composed a short entry as part of this blog, we hope to have more student entries as we continue on our trip. Feel free to post comments or questions. Below is a group shot on our way to the Harding Icefield Overlook, in the background is Exit Glacier.Student Profiles


Brandon - I am a rising junior from Chappaqua, NY and this is my first time in Alaska. As a Geology and Environmental Science major I hope to gain a first hand understanding of deformation caused by subducting plates and glaciation as well as insight into erosional and depositional processes that can record catastrophic events such as volcanic eruptions and tsunamis. Plus Alaska has some great surf.

Highlights from last two days

Accretionary complex exposure along the cliffs at Fort Abercrombie, Kodiak

Hiking along Exit Glacier in Kenai Fjords National Park and viewing wildlife along the hike

Behind Brandon is Exit Glacier a valley glacier part of the Kenai Fiords National Park



Jon – I am a rising junior with a double-major in Geology and Environmental Science. I am from Niskayuna New York and have lived in New York all my life.

Alaska; where else are Bald Eagle’s more common than squirrels, do fake birthday’s last forever and ferry’s have tighter security than an airport? My first time on a plane and camping have been grand, as well as viewing my first glacier, standing ten feet away from a young bear and digging giant holes in remote fields.


This is Jon en route to the lookout over Harding Icefield









Brittany - I’m a senior from Southern California majoring in mechanical engineering, hoping to take in a geology minor.

On Timing
Retrospectively, I didn't even consider the effect of eternal sunshine (or as in the saturated city of
Seward, the prolonged drizzly skies). Now I see. Initially it was disturbing to find a typical “5-o’clock sun” telling such outrageous lies, but we have adapted. We quickly learned watching the sun is only confusing and the hands of the clocks are meaningless because there are so many more sunny hours to occupy. My life here is no longer run one day at a time, from sunup to sundown. An “Alaskan summer” is the smallest natural distinguishable division of time (days run together), so I measure life by feelings: duration until next shower, or escape from the rain, or to the next salmon.

Geology

Though complicated in some areas, it all makes sense. It is great to see the big picture! I did wish I knew more of the plants, now that's taken care of- I bought a guide this morning. Highlights:
the coastline, the lovely turbidites. Love you Mom, Dad, Jeff and Hayley!!

Behind Brittany is the tongue of Exit Glacier in Kenai Fiords National Park


Sam –

Next year will be my last hoorah at Union and Alaska is the beginning of that for me. I have been planning on coming to AK since I was in kindergarten. I study environmental science and what better place to learn about it first hand than the U.S.’s final frontier. I am quite interested in gaining some field experience and doing some serious camping (the first of my life). I was talked into *wink* staying behind after the trip to do a little thesis research with Prof. Cockburn, so my journey is just beginning.

Highlights from the trip:
Gary’s fresh Red Salmon and his, shall we say, strangely delivered stories
Being on my first glacier
Buying a hat off an Alaskan’s head

Sam is on a glacially scoured bedrock exposure in front of Exit Glacier


Sarah-

I’m a sophomore from Providence, RI. My major is still undeclared, but I am strongly considering geology (editorial comment we aren't letting her go home until she declares geo as her major - haha). This is my second trip to Alaska, and it is interesting to view the landscape from a geologic standpoint this time. I enjoyed the fieldwork on Kodiak Island because it was a hands-on experience, rather than purely observational. Though struggling to understand all the concepts we have been introduced to so far, I have found clarity and interest in learning about the 1964 earthquake and the tsunamis that followed. The most excitement was on our hike in Seward, with our increasingly better views of Exit Glacier to one side, while spotting black bears on the other. The brief bear encounter on the trail offered realization to the wildlife around us.

Saturday just before the 4 hour hike along side Exit Glacier


Karen –

I am a junior from Albany, NY and an English major. So far, my first experience in Alaska has been fabulous and absolutely beautiful. I am enjoying learning about a completely new topic in a hands on way. Not only have I found a new interest in geology but I am excited to see how this subject, geological hazards, is reflected in everyday life and society in Alaska. I am also thrilled about the wildlife I have seen so far!

Highlights from last two days:

Hiking up Exit Glacier and looking out over the landscape and glacier.

Karen is sitting on top of the accretionary complex on Kodiak Island overlooking Mill Bay at Ft Abercrombie.



Kelly -

I am a senior from Oswego, NY and I am a double major in Environmental Policy and Spanish. Alaska has always been a place I’ve wanted to visit and I’m really excited that I’m finally here. This is my first time camping ever (and what better place to do it in than Alaska!), but my trouble falling asleep hasn’t been because of the hard ground or a wet tent, but because it’s still light out here at midnight! For me, we have been learning some pretty complicated stuff about geology, but the geo majors have been helping the rest of us out so maybe by the end of the trip I will be able to understand completely what an accretionary complex is. So far though, my highlights of the trip have been listening to Gary Carver, our guide through Kodiak, talk about the politics of the Kodiak Launching Facility, walking on and off the trails at Fort Abercrombie, and seeing the glacier and black bear yesterday at Kenai Fjords National Park.

Kelly is standing in front of the ablation zone of Exit Glacier, just after a brief introduction and discussion of glacial dynamics and potential hazards

Rose –
Hello Family:

Thus far my Alaskan experience can be placed among the ranks of my greatest life’s experiences. It has been gratifying to have the opportunity to apply all that I have learned in the classroom to understanding the unique geology of Alaska. Furthermore, I am in fantastic company. Most of all I have to mention the great awe I am struck by being amidst natures majestic wonders. I have already seen puffins, seals, otters humpback whales, moose, mountain sheep, black bears, bald eagles, magpie, endless snow-peaked mountains, bubbling streams, fields of flowers (wild orchids and roses), glaciers, and lots of fish. Unfortunately I have only seen the fish, and have yet to catch one. Despite the fact that I can not yet be considered a critically acclaimed fisherman I sure as hell have had a lot of fun trying.

Thanks for making my travels possible… and I promise you’ll be getting a fish in the mail soon!

Rose is looking for whales in the bay off of Fort Abercrombie, Kodiak Island on Friday


Amanda -
Pretty fantastic trip thus far. The rain and drear make me feel more at home than I feel at school in New York. Being from the Northwest myself, Living on the Edge is applicable to the place I will eventually settle. The course material I am learning can easily be applied to my home area of Olympia, Olympic Peninsula and Cascade Range. For me the highlight of this trip will come when I return home and am able to recognize geologic features all on my home. (Dad, our hiking excursions are going to be brought to a whole new level. Mom, sorry for the boring dinner chats that will come.)
Paid an exorbitant amount of money in order to go fishing and have yet to see any returns. However, Garver, Rose and myself are optimistic as we ferry towards Cordova and the
Copper River. Soon getting up at 5am will pay off, and not just in getting the first cup of coffee. The food is filling, company is great and the overall attitude is positive. Endless learning and exploring in the last frontier.

Amanda is on the beach below the town of Old Kenai on our way to Homer, looking towards the Cook Inlet, where we discussed Sangamon terraces visible up and down the coast


More Photos Kodiak and Exit Glacier (not in order ... sorry)

Overlooking Mill Point at Ft Abercrombie, Kodiak
Exit Glacier



Rose with Sam (really little) almost in the palm of her hand


Karen appreciates the local culinary delights!

The group after the Exit Glacier hike and a tour through the town of Seward

Almost finished the Harding Icefield Overlook Trail


Sarah and Kelly at Exit Glacier

Exit Glacier overlook

Early morning fisher-women, Amanda and RoseFirst up-close glacier sighting - Sarah, Kelly, Brittany

7 comments:

Jill said...

Hello to all of you explorers! We love this blog - it is awesome to be able to follow your breathtaking adventures. Wondering about that bear cub - a face-to-face meeting?? We were just reading about a forest fire on the Kenai Peninsula - we are glad that you are all safe (as you obviously made the ferry to Cordova.) Be well, have fun, and keep learning!
Love to Sam (with the new hat?!)

Dad said...

Kelly, What are you doing in Alaska? You told me you were going to see your Grandma in Spokane.

Unknown said...

Sister, this blog is great. The photos are fantastic. I am so happy to be able to follow your trip and I look forward to hearing all about it when you get back. Lots of good thoughts are sent your way everyday.
Love Brather.

Laura said...

Hello to all. What a wonderful way for all the families to follow their student's adventures!! All of Amanda's extended family are tuning in daily for a glimpse of the trip. Everyone looks happy, healthy and full of knowledge. To Amanda (the girl who did not know Alaska had BUGS) much love and stay safe. I will learn to love rocks. Mom

Laura said...

It is time to start catching your first fish Amanda. I'll pay you $5.00 a pound, so I don't want any fish stories about how huge it was. Take care of my rod. Love, Dad

A. Tricia said...

Awesome blog guys! Thanks for keeping your families informed. Enjoy the rest of your time, it definitley looks like an experience of a lifetime. Sam an update on the Sox, as of today 6/26/07 we are 11-games up on the Yanks, 10 on the Jays. Oops hope I didn't Jinx anything. Keep safe and love always, A. Tricia

Unknown said...

Great blog guys, I'm finally catching up on it now. Great pictures, sounds like you're having a fantastic time. I've definitely always wanted to go to Alaska. Oh, and Sam, what made you want to go to AK as far back as kindergarten? Enjoy all the salmon.
~luke~